Excursus : Within the Realm of Enlightenment

4.10.2007

A Dozen Less One

Well I’m glad you got your priorities in order the message I hear is: Buy, buy, buy.
So much of today’s pop music reminds me of the backdrop for commercials, I don’t know if I’m hearing a song or a commercial.

Do you get to read Drogzen poetry on the air? Do you get to play your favorite Tibetan chants?

Yeah I know, entertainment: This is the entertained generation. I would bet that the only sensibilities that the artists you listed have, are no sensibilities.

There is no deeper guiding light in their lives that illuminates their direction in life. Thus they have no other recourse but to echo the same business line: Buy, buy, buy; have fun; don’t worry if your life seems empty and void of meaning; you can always get more stuff.

I just don’t see much difference in government (whether its Republicrate or Demorican) and big business. And frankly, I don’t get this “eco<-->dialog” thing (nor the “capitalist<-->commie” thing, for that matter). Do you sincerely believe that the majority of the media do not put out the basic message that business wants us to hear?

For me it’s about deep listening. Listening with compassion, hearing the pain that another may be in. Listening with patience, knowing that we cannot solve their problems for them. Listening with encouragement, that their greater reality will shine forth in their life in the way that they understand, in the way that they need.

I guess for some people religion is their path to the Highest Truth. For others, religion is the path that Highest Truth takes to enter our hearts, our lives.

As a younger man, I admit, I had dreams of saving people, helping the world. And I thought: if only people lived The (Buddha) Way, how much happier they would be. How foolish I was.

Now, not necessarily any wiser, I just try to treasure each person and their vision of life that they have for themselves. Prajna is a greater wisdom that I shall ever possess, but perhaps it’s in the beauty of our foibles that we are lead through its grace.

No comments: