Excursus : Within the Realm of Enlightenment

9.24.2007

Sorting Things Out

I would like to share a little bit of my experience with you, if I may. At one time in my life I had some very deep and interesting experiences while practicing Zen. These experiences galvanized my understanding and gave me a clear and potent vision of Buddhism, Zen in particular, and Practice in general. In short, I was ready to take on the world and baptize everyone with my true understanding of the Way. Unfortunately, my manuscript and articles were, I was told, “very interesting, but not what the publisher was looking for at this time.”

Many years later, I decided that it wasn’t so important that I awaken people to the truth that I knew myself. I decided that it was more important and useful if I could help people to awaken to their way of truth. And rather than get them to see my vision and practice my way, I would help them to see their own vision, and to practice their way. In short, rather than be a master, I would just be of service.

Thus, for people to believe what I know to be true isn’t as important as helping them to travel on their path, at least a little further. I had to see that each person has their own way of seeing life, what was important to them, and what was attuned to their path. After that, it didn’t become a question of whether they could see the way that was my way, but that perhaps they could realize the Way that was right with their path. Therefore, helping them, if I possibly could, became more meaningful for me than getting them to realize my way.

This is not to say that you should do the same as I. But, I can see that you too are galvanized with a vision and understanding that others may not be privy to. And, I can understand that you have done a great deal of research and study to validate your vision. This is great!

I can also understand what it is like to go up against the status quo, only to see your vision and understanding supplanted by lesser but more common views. So I will not tell you what to do, but hope that in some way I have shown you something meaningful to you.

The best rulers are scarcely known by their subjects;
The next best are loved and praised;
The next are feared;
The next despised:
They have no faith in their people,
And their people become unfaithful to them.

When the best rulers achieve their purpose
Their subjects claim the achievement as their own.

- Tao Te Ching


No comments: