Excursus : Within the Realm of Enlightenment

4.18.2007

The Emptiness of Zero

Perhaps it might help if you realized that those “other people” are suffering just as much as you are. (Prejudice and intolerance are really just the outward faces of deep fear and insecurity.) Would you not offer them the same kindness, compassion, and understanding that you would want for yourself?

For me, the way of the Buddha is to follow the path of truth. And in the light of truth we see the emptiness of self. And in the emptiness of self, we see the emptiness of anger and fear (not that they don’t still grip you by the balls). But you go on one day at a time, and in practice (of the Buddha way) the ocean of emptiness washes over “you” again. And I find that in the Truth of the moment the way of understanding and compassion is realized.


Many years ago I did a bit of simple arithmetic. If I set out to “get even” with those who wronged me, then considering all the “wrongs” that modern society confronts us with, I would have to spend most of my life getting back at people. Since I could see little joy in a life filled with vindictiveness, I decided it would be better to just move on.

No comments: